First off, let me start by saying that this post will not be nearly as lengthy as the last one. I will be writing some long posts in the future, sure. But not this one J
Anyway, this post is a brief follow-up to my last post, Let’s
Start With Calypso. I wanted to point something out that I feel I omitted in
that post, but is important for all of my readers to know:
So that everyone knows: MindArk has, as of 2012, taken direct control over Calypso.
I know this seems like a simple thing but believe it or not,
it was very hard for me to find out. There is no clear indication of who the Planet
Partner for Calypso is, well… anywhere. I ended up finding it (almost by luck)
on some half-buried wiki in EntropiaPlanets.
From what I can gather, MindArk ended their partnership with
SEE Visual Studios for no clearly published reason shortly after a deal was
proposed for SEE to purchase and seize control of plane Calypso. SEE was also
supposed to develop two other planets in the Universe, one of which being a
Universal Studios themed planet, and the other themed after Michael Jackson
(seems strange, doesn’t it?). Anyway, MindArk has been desperate to sell off
Calypso for some time now, because the sale of Calypso will bring a new life to
their primary source of income, which is the bank that MindArk owns in real
life. It seems that Calypso has been bleeding money for some time now, and
MindArk, in a panic, wanted to sell it to a Planet Partner in order to reinvest
back into the (possible proposed?) bank and game, thus reinvigorating the Universe as a whole.
The sheer magnitude of how bad the planet was hurting can be seen in this quote taken from the Wikipedia Page for Entropia Universe:
Interestingly enough, when I went to go verify the quote, the link for citation was dead. hmmm. Ever since that point, Calypso stagnated. despite the fact that calypso does currently have a team running it, it seems as though this team is either poorly funded or poorly motivated (likely both) under the weight of knowing that Calypso is still, in reality, for sale.
- June 15, 2010 - Parent company MindArk AB released its 2009 annual report, showing a cash flow of -18.6 Million SEK (-$2.4M), and stating that the real-world bank is on hold, due to a lack of funds. MindArk also stated they had a signed letter of intent to sell their original virtual planet, Planet Calypso, for a price of $6,000,000 USD, to an unnamed company,[20] later announced to be SEE Virtual Worlds, already a partner. SEE intended to release at least two planets in the Entropia Universe: (Planet Michael, a virtual world celebrating the life of Michael Jackson, and a second planet featuring monsters from Universal.[21]) However, in June 2011, MindArk released a statement announcing the end of their partnership with SEE altogether.
So what does this mean for us? Well, the lack of a good Planet
Partner and MindArk’s unwillingness to dump more money into Calypso is likely a
good citation for them rarely updating the game in a positive way. However, it
also means that we have a real opportunity to strike up some change. If we
start with Planet Calypso, we are going right to the heart of the problem and
bypassing all the Planet Partners.
That’s what I want. I want to see MindArk – not a Planet
Partner – make a move towards a new way of thinking about the Universe; a way
of thinking that will revolve around polishing the dozens of rough Diamonds
MindArk has in their jar. After all, although the planet partners are
responsible for content and concept, MindArk is responsible for platform development.
So, MindArk – develop your platform.
To clarify, Calypso is currently run by Planet Calypso AB, a
subsidiary of MindArk. This subsidiary has an independent CEO and therefore, there is technically a "Planet Partner" that id controlled by MindArk. However, as stated before, they are likely poorly motivated and poorly funded. Calypso is for sale - PLanet Calypso AB seems as though it designed to be temporary.
(What’s worse is we can’t tell who’s running Next Island at
all – but that’s for another blog)
Over the next few days I will be attempting to dig around
and find an email address for MindArk directly. If I can find one, I will be
planning a letter-writing campaign of some kind. I hope you all will join me on
that.
Good luck everyone,
-Faucon Ioji VanAlkel


Interesting reading! If you are putting real money in to a game to invest, you need to know who or what are handling these. I had grand plans when I started playing again, but then I quickly reduced them to having fun instead. ;) Looking forward reading more about your findings, and see you at Camp Icarus in a near by future :D
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it! :D
DeleteI have a society going on now too :) If your loyalties arent already elsewhere you should jump in on it! It will help me with communication to those people interested in following the cause. Check out the society link at the top of the page if youre interested!
Bluff, I would like to point out that you won the raffle for the interceptor :) catch me on world to redeem it!
DeleteCalypso was owned since the game launch by Mind Ark from what I know. Its their planet and they try to keep the players on calypso. Calypso generate to them the most part of the money.
ReplyDeleteRosoga, Calypso has been owned by several different companies in its day. I has been owner by MindArk, First Planet Company, See Visual Studios and Calypso AB respectively :)
DeleteHaving played for quite some time the different management styles are clear. I was curios to know why Calypso was moving so slow and when I saw Calypso AB was a subsidiary of MindArk, the pieces began to fall together.
It's been 18 months. We're they able to sell it?
ReplyDelete